2011-2015 Ph.D. in Computer Science. Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Thesis: Dissimilarity-Based Multiple Instance Learning
Advisor: Prof. dr. Marco Loog
2004-2010 M.Sc. in Computer Science. Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Thesis: Random Subspace Method for One-Class Classifiers
1999-2004 International Baccalaureate. International School of The Hague, The Netherlands
Research and work experience
2017-current Assistant professor
Medical Image Analysis group, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
2015-2016 Postdoctoral researcher
Biomedical Imaging Group Rotterdam, Erasmus Medical Center, The Netherlands
2013 Visiting researcher
Machine Learning and Computational Biology group, MPI Intelligent Systems, Tübingen, Germany (now at ETH Zurich)
2011-2014 Ph.D. researcher
Pattern Recognition Laboratory, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
2010 M.Sc. Intern Prime Vision, Delft, The Netherlands
Grants and awards
- 2017 Winner Lorentz-eScience competition with workshop proposal “Crowdsourcing for medical image analysis”, EUR 15K
- 2016 Winner Pallas Ludens Academic Challenge. Project “CRAVE: Crowdsourcing for Airway and Vessel Extraction”, EUR 5K
- 2015 Finalist STW Open Mind Award. Project “Game for crowdsourcing medical image analysis”. Top 15 of 132 applicants.
- 2013 Travel scholarship ERASMUS / Delft University of Technology. Visited MPI Intelligent Systems in Tübingen, Germany for 3 months.
- 2013 Travel scholarship ACM-W/Microsoft. Visited Multiple Classifier Systems in Nanjing, China.
- 2009 Member of merit, W.I.S.V. `Christiaan Huygens’. Recognized for my contribution to the society for mathematics and computer science students.
Boards and committees
- 2014 – current Board member (treasurer). NVPHBV, Dutch society for Pattern Recognition and Image Processing
- 2011-2013 Board member (treasurer). Ariston’80, student soccer club.
- 2004 – 2010 Board and committee member. W.I.S.V. ‘Christiaan Huygens’, society for computer science and mathematics students. As board member in 2007-2008, supervised several committees in organizing events. In 2009, organized and coordinated visit to universities and companies in the United States.
- 2018 Lorentz workshop Crowdsourcing for Medical Image Analysis, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2017 Large-scale Annotation of Biomedical data and Expert Label Synthesis (MICCAI LABELS), Quebec City, Canada.
- 2016 Meetings of the Dutch Society of Pattern Recognition and Image Processing in Rotterdam and Eindhoven, The Netherlands. 50-60 participants each
- 2015 Features and Structures (FEAST) workshop at International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2015), Lille, France. 170 registered participants.
- 2014 Features and Structures (FEAST) workshop at International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2014), Stockholm, Sweden. 70 registered participants
- Statistical, Structural and Structural Pattern Recognition (S+SSPR 2016, S+SSPR 2018)
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2016)
- Similarity-based Pattern Recognition (SIMBAD 2015)
- Belgium Netherlands Machine Learning Conference (BENELEARN 2015)
I have reviewed over 60 articles for international journals and conferences, such as:
- IEEE TPAMI
- IEEE TMI
- IEEE TNNLS
- Pattern Recognition
- ISBI (2016-current)
- NIPS (2016-current)
A verified record of my reviews can be found on my Publons page.
- 2017-2018: 8QA01 image analysis project (year 1 BSc).
- 2017-2018: 8DC00 Medical Image Analysis (year 3 BSc), together with Dr. Mitko Veta.
- 2015: Lecturer Introduction to biomedical imaging for medical students (MSs), Erasmus MC
- 2014-2016: Lecturer Advanced pattern recognition (PhD), Delft University of Technology
- 2014: Lecturer Pattern recognition for biomedical engineering (BSc), Delft University of Technology
- 2011-2014: Teaching assistant in several Pattern recognition courses (BSc – PhD)
- 2007: Teaching assistant Algorithms and data structures (BSc)
- 2016 Dylan Dophemont, BSc student from Hogeschool Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Project “Gamification of airway extraction”
- 2015 Isabel Pino Pena, visiting PhD student from University of Aalborg, Denmark. Co-supervised with Marleen de Bruijne. Project “Quantification of emphysema with multiple instance learning”
- 2014 Irene Cara, visiting MSc student from Università degli studi di Cagliari, Italy. Co-supervised with Marco Loog. Project “Multi-class multiple instance learning for image categorization”
Open science and outreach
- I use this website (http://www.veronikach.com) and Twitter to communicate about my research and about academic life.
- I maintain a dataset repository and contribute to a multiple instance learning toolbox for MATLAB, both accessible through http://www.miproblems.org.
- I have given several talks at career orientations for high-school or university students, including events organized by VHTO (Dutch national organization on girls/women and science and technology) which encourages girls to study technical subjects.
My work has been featured on various online media, such as: